Mr. Neuenschwander has more than 45 years business experience in the licensing, electronics and chemical industries. He has spent the past 27 years managing and supporting client assertive patent license negotiations and litigations for International Patent Licensing Company, Patent Solutions (both of which he co‐founded), Mahr Leonard Management Company and STMicroelectronics. Mr. Neuenschwander personally or through organizations he has led has completed more than 65 adversarial IP transactions.
Mr. Neuenschwander directs and participates in developing licensing strategies, completing portfolio evaluations, documenting patent infringement incidents, calculating infringement damages and license royalties, and successfully concluding license agreements for clients. He has clients and conducts negotiations in Asia, Europe and the United States. Mr. Neuenschwander has testified as a fact or expert witness before the International Trade Commission and in Federal Courts. His licensing focus is in the areas of telecommunications, information technologies, semiconductors, consumer electronics, the internet and software.
An active member of the Licensing Executives Society (LES), Mr. Neuenschwander accepts speaking engagements world‐wide and participates in panel discussions both for LES and at continuing legal education seminars. From 2012 through 2017 he has been named one of “The World’s Leading IP Strategists” by British‐based Intellectual Asset Management (iam) Magazine. Mr. Neuenschwander is a Certified Licensing Professional (CLP), has served on Boards of Directors for a company in the high‐tech industry and for a hospice care company and he currently participates on the Board of Advisors for a high‐tech company. He is a past US delegate to the international body of LES and has participated in the Hoover Institute’s study on Intellectual Property, Innovation and Prosperity. He also gives back to the licensing community by writing and co‐teaching a negotiating skills course in the US, Canada and Mexico.
- “The Role of Assertive Patent Licensing” published by IP Law360, August 9, 2017
- “Do Patents Still Matter? Yes, Depending on Who You Are” published on IPWatchdog, February 14, 2017; and in LES Insights, Week of April 3, 2017
- “Did High‐tech Titans Win the US Patent War?” published in IAM Magazine, April 2012; and on the Licensing Executives Society web site some months later
- “Patent Reform is About Wealth, Who Should Have It” published by IP Law360, November 1, 2007
- “Licensing Patents in Unfriendly Waters” published in Licensing Journal, January 2004
- “Strategic Licensing in the New Economy” (co‐authored with Dennis Fernandez) published in Asia Pacific Biotech News, September 29, 2003; Intellectual Property Counselor, May 2007; and Corporate Counsel’s Licensing Letter, June 2007
- “Is That Your Final Offer” published in Les Nouvelles, September 2002
- “A Negotiator’s View of Patent Portfolio Values in Negotiated Licenses” submitted at the Advanced Patent Law Institute, University of Texas, November 2000